Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Roc's Reflections- Another Child...Gone

Each weekday I load two kids into my van and head off to preschool but I send two other of my children off to walk to school. One goes West to the middle school the other, East to the high school. The middle schooler has a straight shot to school on a side road. So not much to worry about, but for the fact that rushing-off-to-work-carpool-parents may not be paying attention. The high schooler, well this is scary. Off our road, to a side road, across a four lane highway at a major intersection then another super busy road then an even busier 2 lane road. Scary. Last week a boy taking a similar route was hit by his own teacher driving to work and died. It is sad and it is tragic I have added two links to share the story. Also one is a video that shows the main road in front of the school that the kids must cross, also where the boy was killed. Today I am sad. Today I also pray that my boys learn from this and be very careful so that they may return home just as they left. I pray not only for the boy who died and his family but also for the teacher who hit him, for his life is forever changed for the worse.

Article
Video

12 comments:

  1. That is so sad and such a needless death. I watched the video and was so surprised that there wasn't a crosswalk with a flashing light in front of the school. Hated the statement that the school board is looking into getting a crosswalk. Seems like they should have done this sooner....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How terribly sad - that poor and his teacher shall be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( Heart wrenching, and at this time of year... so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well that was a happy Christmas story.
    gee thanks Roc I have a bridge to jump off now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how it usually works for traffic problems. Nothing gets done unless somebody dies. And sometimes not even then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How tragic. Prayers for his family and the teacher. My son walks a half a mile home from school and I worry every day until he opens the door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so very tragic. I do hope they figure out a solution there before another child dies or gets seriously injured.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow. That is so sad. I don't know how that teacher will ever get over that. I would imagine he would want to change jobs as every time people see him, they'll think, "There's the teacher that killed Jorge". That is devastating. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's absolutely horrible! I was also wondering why there was no crosswalk??? It's obviously too late now, but damn! What a needless tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh ...there are no words for a tradgedy like this. Prayers for the family and teacher...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya, I agree. That teacher is probably as much a victim. How do you EVER forget or live that down...I am sad too...

    ReplyDelete