Friday, November 12, 2010

Concerns About The 2010 Flu Shot


 
It's almost Flu season and I have some new concerns.

"The H1N1 virus recommended for inclusion in the 2010-2011 seasonal influenza vaccine is a pandemic 2009 H1N1 virus and is the same vaccine virus as was used in the 2009 H1N1 monovalent vaccine." (Text taken from the CDC website)

Last year we had our "Swine Flu Pandemic". People, myself included were all freaked out thinking this could be the next big plague that kills us all. I watched show after show on the past pandemics and the predictions for this one. The future looked bleak. People were lined up for hours to get a swine flu vaccine. I usually get a flu shot and get all my kids one as well each year, but last year I decided hell no. I'm not a big fan of shit that just got released to the public and since the swine flu shot had only been out a minute or so I opted not to get it and not get it for my kids, especially after this. You really need to check the video out if you have never seen it but I suspect that most of you have.

It has just always been my policy to not use a new medical breakthrough until its been out for a few years. That way I can see how many people die from it or end up all fucked up like the cheerleader in the video. Then I can knowingly weigh out the risks and make an educated choice.

I mean, is it just me or does it seem like every time you go to the doctors a new vaccine has been added to the roster? I often decline the newer ones and put them off for a few years. Again to gauge the risks factor. It just always seems that a new breakthrough medicine comes out and its all the rave and a year later there are commercials telling you" if you died, or got fucked up using so and so please call attorney so and so."

So back to the point..We skipped our flu vaccine last year for the first time I think ever. Now this year they are saying that the Swine Flu vaccine has been added to this years flu shot. Hmmm looks like we're gonna have to pass. Again, I need at least an entire year of evidence before I sign up for some new shit but I dunno I may be leaving my kids uncovered?? Decisions, decisions, am I the only one freaked out at this point about the swine flu vaccine?

Do you plan on getting one? Giving your kids one?



8 comments:

  1. Nope. Never get one. The one time I did get one I got sooooooo sick and the one time my boys got one, they to got sooooo sick. So we will skip it again this year and hope that proper hygeine practices help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it every year. Never had a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're overreacting. Although I opted out last year (got the "standard" flu shot but didn't bother with the H1N1) due to what I knew was a media frenzied overreaction, I didn't have a choice this year.

    I am quite familiar with what a vaccine *must* go through in order to be FDA approved - I was part of the U.S. Army Vaccine Testing protocol many years ago. Trust me, they've already killed a bunch of Army folks before they EVER try to kill civilians.

    I wouldn't lie ... maybe ... ;)~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I catch a lot of grief from my family, but I won't get one. Ironically, I was the only one in my family that DIDN'T get the flu last year. (their cases weren't severe, but they had it nonetheless.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get my flu and pneumonia shot every year. I haven't had flu since.

    I got this year's the first of last month. Heck a stop at the drug store for 15 minutes and I'm on my way. Last year I had a connection with a guy who got his scheduled when he went to a doc in the box for some rash cream. Everyone in town was waiting in long long lines and he had an appointment for a Tuesday at 11 a.m. He calls me while in the place and says, "Psst, wanna go with me for a flu shot next Tues at 11 a.m.?" I said "Sure!" We felt so special. We NEVER told anyone how we got the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole flu-vaccine topic is such a touchy one. I'm in a nursing faculty, and even there we have many debates regarding the effects. It's a very interesting and controversial topic that will never go away. Oh well, it's blog fodder though!...see how my mind works?
    Great post and thought provoquing post Raquel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've EVER had a flu shot, but not because I really have an opinion. My oldest son is allergic to eggs so he can't have the regular flu shot, and my little one gets them if we're at the dr.'s. I trust the Dr. more than I trust my own opinions about things, but maybe I'm just being ignorant... I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana- Well first you had me relaxed a bit but then you turned on me with the last sentence. I just don't know what to think. You may think I am overeacting however, I choose to view my concerns as being cautious. And having 4 childrens well being in my hands I would say cautious is the way to go.

    Everyone else seems split. I guess I'll have to make this call all on my own. Don't worry though, I'm sure I'll post the results either way.

    ReplyDelete