Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Long Awaited Doctor Story

 First I went in a few months ago, they said I had a UTI. (urinary tract infection) Not sure what that is? Well click here for a lovely description.They gave me meds and it never really got better. Being uninsured and a paycheck to paycheck kinda gal I had to save up enough funds to return. On my return visit they said I was good, even though I still had the symptoms and the OTC tests said I had an infection. I rolled with in until it became unbearable. Then I went back where I had a lovely encounter with a stellar doctor you can read about here. They called me not 48 hours later but 5 days later to say I had nothing.  A week later I was in misery. So I called them and they said "well there is nothing wrong with you, we suggest changing your diet?" WTH?  So I suffered a few more days while contacting other facilities for a price quote which by the way was triple or more what the health department was charging so I called back demanding they see me. They reluctantly gave me an appointment for the next day.


When I showed up on that day there was different staff. They called me back and weighed me..I had gained another pound. I brought the nurse my urine specimen and she went out to check it. She came in and said to me "how long have you let this go? Your urine is a mess, full of infection!" I was furious "I told them last week I was messed up but they did not believe me?!"  So then I broke down, oh I cried like a big fat baby. Truthfully, I am not sure if I was crying more over frustration or that pound I gained. I informed her how long this had been going on, and how many times I had been here and paid for nothing, and now this was not only killing me psychically but financially, and I could not take it anymore, it was December 23rd and if I didn't get some relief my kids Christmas would be ruined, blah, blah, wine, wine. So she said "don't worry psycho lady we will help you." The doc came in, it was a different one that I'd never seen. She said I had a kidney infection and my blood pressure was sky high. I had no previous history of blood pressure problems so she accredited that to the pain and stress I was under. She gave me two prescripts, an antibiotic and pain meds. I asked her to make it something affordable, she said she had. So I was off to the pharmacy glad to have some help. My prescripts were over $100! WTF! So I got all the antibiotics and 1/3 of the pain meds. A week later the meds were gone and I still had to pee every 6 minutes. So I began to call again thinking I needed another dose of something.  On that day I began my badgering at 9am, I kept calling all day and being put on hold for 20 minutes each time before I hung up. Finally at 4pm I got a live person. She asked for my name, I told her and she said "HOLD" she came back and said they were closed, but she would put me through to leave a message for the nurse who would call me tomorrow. I did. Tomorrow came and went and no call from the nurse. So I called back I was informed by the receptionist that they were short staffed and would get to me maybe tomorrow. UUGGHHH! Later that day the nurse called and asked me info that I had left on her voicemail already. She said she would consult the doc and call me back.


The next day another nurse called and heres our convo:
"Can I speak with Raquel?"
"Hi, This is me"
"This is the nurse returning your call.So you're still having issues?"
"Yes"
"Did you complete your meds?"
"Yes"
"Well your tests all came back negative."
"What tests?"
"The ones you took when you were here last."
"Uh, no the doctor that day said I had a kidney infection."
"Nope, all your test are normal."
"Really? Then why did they prescribe me two medications and tell me I had a kidney infection?"
"What are you talking about?"
"When I was there on the 23rd."
"They did?"
"Yes"
"Well the computers are down and I do not have that info in front of me" she said very defensively.
"Well is it not in my paper file?"
"I'm just reading the notes I have in front of me, I'll call you back." She hangs up.
Hour later she calls back.
 "I spoke with the doctor and she said you should just take the OTC stuff for relief and cut your caffeine intake."
"Seriously I drink one cup of coffee daily. That's my caffeine intake, that should not have me pissing all night long and I have been taking the OTC med for two months now although the box says take it two days max." I said frustration now becoming apparent in my voice.
"Well, change your diet." she said snappily. How about you change your attitude!  I wanted to yell.
"Are you serious? I will not accept this! Something is wrong and I need to know what it is. Maybe you should do a full battery of tests. No one pees every 5 minutes! Do you know how hard life is when you have to pee every five minutes? Would you like to have that issue and be brushed off? I have spent way too much time in your facility to not feel better and I ......
"Maaa-aaam! If you'd let me finish I was gonna suggest that we do a diabetes check!" She yells at me.
"When after I had hung up?" I asked now super pissed. (pissed being an appropriate word to describe how I was feeling)
Clearly ticked at me she said "we'll see you next Thursday at 12!" and slammed the phone down.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that's bullshit. I wish I had some words of encouragement but no, no I don't. It's just bullshit. Cheers and Good Luck Roc!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. So I guess I should not be feeling too badly about the 5 hours The Cherubs and I had to wait before they could be seen by a doc. And at least OUR doc confirmed my (always accurate) diagnosis. So sorry...feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so effin' incompetent. Sorry to hear that Roc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to share...the doc just called to reconfirm my appt time for Thursday. I was told 12:20p by the nurse, the receptionist just told me 1140a. I asked should I fast? She said for a UTI test? UGGGHHH. I will not pay for the visit if they give me another UTI test. I informed her it is supposed to be diabetes screening she said oh yeah you CAN fast. UUGGH I see another post coming soon on this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Raquel this is beyond ridiculous!

    I'm so sorry!!! Is this week the Thursday you are having the blood test for diabetes? Normally with diabetes you have an insatiable (sp?) thrist. Are you thristy or just feel the need to pee like a UTI? Don't mean to play armchair doctor just have some unfortunately experience with this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. never trust doctors...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez, I take a short break from reading blogs and come back to find you miserable and in pain! Yuck,Yuck,Yuck!

    Hey, I have had a kidney infection...while I was at a trade show in Indianapolis...I live in KC. NOT FUN. ended up in the hospital, away from home. They put me on Cipro and I think that made me worse then I was to begin with..that stuff stinks!

    I'm amazed at the lack of profesionalism that entire office has. I understand you don't have insurance but can you get a second opinion..and not have to wait 3 weeks to get in?

    It's times like these that I worry about our health system...change it,it can mean catastrophe or leave it the way it is and it means disaster for you...so sorry you have to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time to see if you can get on Ellen or Oprah. Scratch Oprah, try Dr Phil. Tell him your going crazy. WAIT! Dr Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And this is your local health department?
    I would be trying something else like an emergent care facility, or here we have Walgreens and Krogers that have clinics that aren't that expensive and do some of the same stuff as a doctor's office. The staff are nice because they want you to come back. Sounds like the health department could care less if you come back...

    ReplyDelete
  10. UGH! I'm so sorry that you're going through this!!! I hope they figure it out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matt-Man- Just your usual "cheers" does the trick. I feel better already.

    Sue- No, you still have a gripe...5 hours...ridiculous!

    Sundar- I agree, and thanks

    Peg- Thirsty as a fish in hell. :(

    Eternalist- Not at the county health department

    Chandra- Sounds terrible. I have heard many a scary kidney infection story and it I guess I was lucky or I will die soon. It remains to be seen.

    Jay- Volunteering?

    Mike- Dr. Oz! That's Brilliant!

    MHS- I did call around and price urgent care and small offices, $200 and up for a UTI test. So that's a no. The minute clinic? Well, that's an option I may be going for soon. It is a bit more than what I'm paying now but thanks for reminding me of that option. I also attempted other surrounding county health departments but the drive is an hour and that means each time I have an appointment it would be an entire day off so in the long run that would cost me triple.

    Mama4Real- :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is possible that it's a complication of undiagnosed and treated diabetes.

    I'm a 19 year diabetic, insulin dependent. I used to have major problems with yeast infections, but it was the fact my sugar wasn't under control. Now, no yeast infections. I had a UTI last year and the doctor wanted to give me meds, but I didn't take them. I watched my coffee intake and drank just water. It cleared up. Your case is not a minor one.

    If you discover you have diabetes, you need to get into a program where you get endocrine support. I know this sounds impossible without insurance, but perhaps your state has a Medicaid clinic as the do here in Louisville, where you get low cost treatment.

    In any case, good luck. Don't let impolite stupid people put you off. It is their job to help you. It is your job as the patient to insist on getting the help.

    ReplyDelete